Saturday, May 22, 2010

Kicking it Old School

I've never had much classical training when it comes to art. Mostly I'm self taught with whatever observations I make in terms of "what can make my art better" being incorporated into the style. When it comes to coloring, I haven't had much practice paints or watercolors (which led to a horrible incident once involving oil crayons and an art convention where I drew some pretty badly colored stuff). Basically, I skipped a whole stage to move onto digital coloring.

When trying to "paint" digitally though, I've always found something lacking. So I decided to bite the bullet and try my hand (literally) with a paintbrush and some watercolors. It did not start well, as you can see by the first thing that I ever painted, this fish:

I mean, it's not bad per se, it's just horribly executed. In terms of layering, highlights and depth. There are a few more of these paintings that I am not proud of, but instead I'm going to post the ones that I am proud of, because I'm like that.

Yes, that is a self portrait.

And this one was painted in a haze of vodka and mountain dew.

lkjhdsfa

Yay, Seedus!

There are a couple more, but I'll save 'em for smaller posts this week. Can't blow my load (ew, bad choice of words) all at once, so to speak.

1 comment:

None said...

these are so awesome, i wish i was as talented as you...